Dr. Richard Saldanha
Chief Cardiothoracic Surgeon
MS(General surgery), M.Ch., DNB (Cardio Vascular and Thoracic Surgery)
Cardio Vascular Thoracic Surgery
English, Hindi, Tamil, Kannada
I have been practicing cardio vascular and thoracic surgery for the last 40 years. I joined the profession in 1974 and completed my MBBS from St. John’s Medical college, Bangalore. After completing my MS in general surgery, I specialized in cardiothoracic surgery from CMC, Vellore and further trained in coronary artery bypass surgery and heart transplantation from St. Vincent’s Hospital, Sydney, Australia. I have worked in busy cardiothoracic surgical centres like Railway Hospital & Ramachandra Hospital, Chennai. I have also worked overseas in Srilanka and been overseas for specialized training in Germany, Italy and USA. Most of my work in cardiothoracic surgery has been in south India and I have been heading the cardiothoracic team in KLES Dr. Prabhakar Kore Hospital for the last 7 years.
- Coronary artery bypass grafting
- Valve repairs and replacements
- Aortic aneurysm surgeries
- Vascular surgeries
- Thoracic surgeries like decortications, lobectomies and tumors.
- Neonatal and paediatric surgery.
- Heart and lung transplants
- Mechanical circulatory support like Left ventricular assist devices and ECMO.
- Thoracic trauma
- International & National publications – 50 in peer reviewed journals
- Life member – Indian Association of Cardiothoracic surgeons
- Member STS (Society of thoracic surgeons of America)
- Life Member – Indian society for Heart and Lung transplantation