Dr. Vivek Basavprabhu Wani
Vitreoretina Opthalmology Centre
English, Kannada, Hindi, Marathi, Gujarati, Arabic
I graduated from KMC Hubballi in 1982 and worked as medical officer for four years in Karnataka government . I purused post graduation in Ophthalmology between 1988 to 1991. I worked as lecturer in BLDE medical college Bijapur for one year and left India to work in the Ministry of Health Kuwait in July 1992.
I passed FRCS examination in Ophthalmology in 1996 and completed vitreoretinal training in the same hospital where I was working. I was working as Consultant vitroretina surgeon in Al-Adan Hospital Kuwait when I left for India in 2017.
I joined KLES Dr Prabhakar Kore hospital on 1st of January 2018 to be in mother country. I started full-fledged vitreoretinal services in the department of Ophthalmology that includes complex vitreoretinal surgeries. I perform all complex vitreoretinal surgeries, intravitreal injections and provide medical retina services to the needy patients. My work has been gradually increasing due the quality of services we provide and cooperation of our department and the hospital authorities.
My areas of interest include diabetic retinopathy, retinal vein occlusions, retinopathy of prematurity, endophthalmitis, retinal detachment, traumatic retinal conditions, macular hole and age related macular degenerations. I have published several papers in International journals.
- VITREORETINA- retinopathy of Prematurity
- Diabetic retinopathy both medical and surgical
- Retinal vein occlusions
- Traumatic retinal conditions
- Macular hole
- Age related macular degeneration
- Sabti K, Chow D, Wani V, Al-Ajmi M.Resolution of bilateral multifocal subretinal cysticercosis without significant inflammatory sequelae.
Can J Ophthalmol. 2001 Jun; 36(4):214-7.
- Vivek B Wani, Mubarak Al-Ajmi, Lukman Thalib, Rajavardhan V Azad, Mohsen Abul, Munira Al-Ghanim, Khaled Sabti; Vitrectomy for posterior segment intraocular foreign bodies- visual results and prognostic factors. RETINA 2003; 23(5):654-660
- Khalid Sabti, Seemant Raizada, Vivek B Wani, Mubarak Al-Ajmi, Iskandar Gayed, T N Sugathan. Efficacy and reliability of fundus digital camera as a screening tool for diabetic retinopathy in Kuwait. J Diabetes Complications. 2003;17(4):229-33.
- Homoud F. Al-Zuabi, Yaqoub Al-Tammar, Reem Al-Moataz, Khaled Al-Sabti, Vivek B Wani, Fahad Hamama, Hanan Mohammad, Mai H. Al-Suwayan. Retinopathy in newly diagnosed type 2 diabetes mellitus. Med Princ Pract.
- Wani VB, Al Sabti K, Kumar N, Mathew S, Al Kandari J, Raizada S. Endophthalmitis after vitrectomy and vitrectomy combined with phacoemulsification: incidence and visual outcomes. Eur J Ophthalmol. 2009 ;19(6):1044-9.
- Wani VB, Kumar N, Sabti K, Raizada S, Rashwan N, Shukkur MM, Harbi M. Results of screening for retinopathy of prematurity in a large nursery in Kuwait: Incidence and risk factors. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2010 ;58(3):204-8.
- Kumar N, Wani VB, Al Sabti K.Retinopathy of prematurity in Asian Indian babies weighing greater than 1250 g at birth. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2008;56(2):166.
- Sabti KA, Raizada S, Kandari JA, Wani V, Gayed I, Kumar N. Applications of endoscopy in vitreoretinal surgery. Retina. 2008 ;28(1):159-66.
- Kumar N, Al Kandari J, Al Sabti K, Wani VB.Partial-thickness macular hole in vitreomacular traction syndrome: a case report and review of the literature. J Med Case Reports. 2010 ;13;4-7.
- Wani VB, Uboweja AK, Gani M, Al-Kandari J, Kazem M, Al-Naqeeb N, Thomas C, Al-Serafi M, Shukkur MM. Type I retinopathy of prematurity in infants with birth weight less than 1251 g: incidence and risk factors for its development in a nursery in Kuwait.Middle East Afr J Ophthalmol. 2013;20:66-71.
- Wani VB, Sabti KA, Kumar N, Raizada S, Kandari JA, Harbi MA, Sawaan R, Rajaram U, Al-Naqeeb N, Shukkur M. Structural and functional results of indirect diode laser treatment for retinopathy of prematurity from 1999 to 2003 in Kuwait. Clin Ophthalmol. 2013;7:271-8.
- Wani VB, Kumar N, Uboweja AK, Kazem MA. A case of submacular cysticercosis treated by pars plana vitrectomy in Kuwait. Oman J Ophthalmol 2014;7:144-6.
- Wani VB, Al-Kandari J, Sabti K et al Incidence of endophthalmitis after intravitreal Bevacizumab using aliquots prepared on site in two operating rooms in Kuwait Middle East J Ophthalmol 2016;23(1):64-70
- Tenagi AL, Sunny L, Wani V, Magdum MI, Smitha KS, Bhagyajyothi BK. Prevalence and risk factors of diabetic retinopathy in rural population of Belgaum district. Indian J Health Sci Biomed Res 2021;14:200-5.
- Brar A.S, Wani V.B, Tenagi A.L. Outcomes of three intravitreal injections of bevacizumab given monthly for diabetic macular oedema is a viable treatment for an economically disadvantaged population. Afr Vision Eye Health. 2021;80(1), a618