Understanding Occupational Therapy (OT)
The scope of occupational therapy is so broad, many people lack a basic understanding of how this type of healthcare can improve their life & well-being. To learn more about this branch of healthcare profession & decide whether you can get benefit from it, see the information below.
Occupational Therapy (OT) is the practice of assisting individuals to progress through life by using meaning full everyday activities as a therapeutic medium. Occupational therapy helps people of all ages who have physical, sensory & cognitive issue by,
- Increase independence doing things that are important.
- Adapt to school/ college/work.
- Work to increase self-confidence.
- Adapt to social environment.
- Improve interactions with others.
Occupational Therapy daily activities include:
- Teach them how to perform activities of daily living (ADL) skills, such as Upper body & Lower body dressing, feeding, preparing for college (or) work etc.
- Treatment plan based on activities with multifaceted way.
- May asses the clients home, environment & workplace to modify ergonomically for clients benefits.
- Provide the education to the individuals family members regarding the impairments & prepare to support them as they acclimate.
- According to the patient need OT’st may suggest upper extremity splinting, also suggest the adaptive and assistive device.
Overall an Occupational Therapist provides holistic care to patients living with mental, physical, cognitive & developmental disorders.
Dr. Sibani Priyadarsini
Master in Occupational Therapy (Hand Rehabilitation)